Friday, January 3, 2014

Comic Reviews for the Week of 12/31/13


Pick of the Week: Guardians of the Galaxy #10 (Marvel Comics) Brian Michael Bendis Writer/Kevin Maguire Art

     Each incarnation of Guardians of the Galaxy gets better, its like a fine aged wine. Valentino took a group of future heroes from the 60's & 70's and brought them into the 90's with a bang. In 2008 DnA and Pelletier, Walker & Craig did the unthinkable and made this title even better, critically acclaimed at the time but with slow sales was cancelled. Fast forward 2013 and again I was a little skeptical with this new series just like the DnA version of GotG. Well all those heads can be put to bed! Bendis and Gaiman has written a cosmic masterpiece while the art provided by McNiven, Maguire, Francavilla and the most talented Sara Pichelli (Her art Rocks)! With a movie coming this summer I see some good Guardians of the Galaxy material for the immediate future if not longer.


Runner-Up: Legenderry #1 (Dynamite Ent.) Bill Willingham Writer/Sergio Davila Art/Joe Benitez Cover and Revelations #1 of 6 (Boom Studios) Paul Jenkins Writer/Humberto Ramos Art

     I could not leave either of these titles out, that is how out of the ballpark they were. May I also mention I was not picking up either of them. Legenderry happened thanks to my comic supplier, he throws sketch covers in my pull pile so I can doodle and this happened to be one of those sketch covers. I have never really been into the whole steampunk genre to be truthful with you, maybe a hand full that I can recall such as Lady Mechanika and Transformers Evolutions: Heart of Steel. Well I really got into this book from cover to cover and this is now added to my pull list. The other hidden gem was Revelations with a religious undertone and a potty mouth detective. I did not even realize that this was being released this week, good thing cause Ramos was great with Spider-Man and Wolverine for Marvel. This is also now on my pull list!


Also Hot: Superman Unchained #5 (D.C. Comics) Scott Snyder Writer/Jim Lee, Scott Williams & Dustin Nguyen Art, Superman #26 (D.C. Comics) Scott Lobdell Writer/Ken Lashley Art


Honorable Mention: The Star Wars #0 (Dark Horse Comics), New Avengers #13 Inhumanity tie-in (Marvel Comics), G.I. Joe #12 (IDW Publishing)


Not So Not: Aquaman #26 (D.C. Comics) Sorry Paul, love your artwork. It's the storyline that has been lacking since Johns stepped down as the writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment