Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Comic Reviews for the Week of 1/29/14


Pick of the Week: Guardians of the Galaxy #11 The Trial of Jean Grey (Marvel Comics) Brian Michael (New Avengers) Bendis Writer/Sara (NYX, Runaways) Pichelli Art

     I have been a fan of GotG since it was released in the early 90's spearheaded by one of Image Comic's founding fathers Jim Valentino. Since then I have been hooked line and sinker, where i had to track down earlier material of there adventures. A few years ago I was weary when DnA launched a new series by the same name and to my satisfaction I was yet again blown away. fast forward to 2013 and Marvel yet again does not only impress but surpasses the prior versions of this book. Bendis is writing a wonderful tale that keeps getting better as it gains even more momentum with some of the best artists in the field supplying the artwork. Which brings me to Sara Pichelli. I wish all I was able to say was wow, but no. I see her work getting better every issue and I have not liked an artist work this much in a very long time, this is the kind of caliber work that built a little company called Image. I can not wait for more work from her and I have already started backtracking to catch up on her earlier works.


Runner-Up: Serenity Firefly Class 03-K64 #1 (Dark Horse Comics) Zack (Fringe) Whedon Writer/Georges (Bishop: The Last X-Men) Jeanty Art

     Serenity picks up months after the Serenity movie ended and already has matched what has come before. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Browncoat, but I was a fan of Firefly from the night it premiered on Fox and cringed the day it was canceled. Fox didn't even have the balls to finish airing the remaining produced episodes of the first season. Since then Fox I believe see's they have made a mistake. You can not go wrong with this book, Firefly...Check, A Whedon on the book...Check! Pick it up, it's about time Firefly/Serenity has come back to the comic shelves!


Also Hot: Superman #27 (D.C. Comics), Uncanny X-Force #17 Vendetta part. 4 (Marvel Comics), Cyber Force #8 (Image/Top Cow), Saga #18 (Image Comics), The Transformers: Regeneration One #98 (IDW Publishing)


Honorable Mention: Aquaman #27 (D.C. Comics), Earth 2 Annual #2 (D.C. Comics), Inhumanity #2 (Marvel Comics), Star Trek #29 (IDW Publishing)


Not So Hot: Green Lantern Corps Annual #2 (D.C. Comics) As of late GL books have been real hit or miss, hopefully Green Lanter/Red Lantern flip book makes up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment