Sunday, October 6, 2013

Comic Reviews for the Week of 10/2/13


Pick of the Week: Spawn #236 (Image Comics) Todd McFarlane Writer/Szymon Kudranski Art

     Most people would agree that this is the true flagship title of Image Comics. Todd has kept this title going strong for over two decades now with a solid core following of fans, in no way has the quality of this book ever faltered. Not including Todd you have had some of the biggest talent grace the pages of this title with there scribbles and Szymon Kudranski has made a name for himself with 35 issues in a row. I have repeatedly heard rumbles from fans regarding Kudranski's art and Jim Dowings incarnation of Spawn. For one I do miss Simmons as Spawn, but in the past few years Downing has grown on me and I am really into this storyline which keeps me coming back month after month.


Runner-Up: Earth 2 #16 (D.C. Comics) James Robinson Writer/Nicola Scott Pencils/Trevor Scott Inks

     Since this book has been launched into The New 52 universe it has been one of my favorite monthly titles published by D.C. Comics. The art and story remain top notch on a monthly basis and hope this remains true for future issues. I have read rumors that this is James Robinson's last issue as the writer and I also have read that this title may be cancelled soon. I do believe Robinson is leaving Earth 2, but I firmly believe this title will stay in print since the sales numbers top 40k a month. Would hate to see this gem go off into the sunset.


Also Hot: The Star Wars #2 (Dark Horse Comics), Batman Detective Comics #24 (D.C. Comics), Forever Evil #2 (D.C. Comics), Savage Wolverine #9 (Marvel Comics), Elephantmen #51 (Image Comics), G.I. Joe A Real American Hero! #194 (IDW Publishing)


Honorable Mention: Green Lantern #24 Lights Out Pt. 1 (D.C. Comics), Mighty Avengers #2 Infinity tie-in (Marvel Comics), All- New X-Men #17 Battle of the Atom Chapter 6 (Marvel Comics), Morning Glories #32 (Image Comics), G.I. Joe The Cobra Files #7 (IDW Publishing)


Not So Much: Hunger #3 Age of Ultron Aftermath (Marvel Comics), Iron Man #16 (Marvel Comics), Shadowman #11 (Valiant Ent.)

No comments:

Post a Comment